Columbus is known for a lot of things: we have a lot of breweries, pizza shops, donut shops, and coffee shops... But we also have a lot of gyms; as well as health and wellness professionals.
I would bet, with as many coffee shops that we have in town, that we have 3x as many gyms. Which means there's a lot of competition!!
Let's look at the four local Columbus coffee shops that I have pictured above:
1) Anyone that lives in the Columbus area and claims to be a coffee fan is going to recognize the first picture, because they are known for their industrial design style and ultra clean modern vibe!! Yup, that's Fox in the Snow!! Besides their architecture and interior design, they are also known for their HUGE pastries!! Oh and yeah, they serve great coffee too.
2) Pistachio Vera... when you hear this name, everyone knows that you can get coffee from this shop, but they are known for their French styled pastries and desserts - like their famous macarons.
3) Upper Cup is one of my personal favorites! Yes, I love their coffee, but what I really love are their sandwiches!!
4) Winan's has (IMO) the best freshly made candied buckeyes - and other chocolates - in town!! And they are super creative in their coffee too!
I'm sure you have a favorite coffee shop in town, and you go there for a very specific reason, don't ya! Cause there's also Crimson Cup, Stauf's, Bottoms Up, Sweetwater, Java's, and so many more!! Each and every coffee shop, serves coffee, but most of them are also known for something else... something that they specialize in.
So, how can the health and fitness industry in Columbus learn from the coffee shop business model??? The argument I hear the most - from most small business owners - is that I don't want to turn down business. But can I let you in on a little secret?? You'll actually get MORE business from a wider audience if you talk to a smaller group. It's weird science, but it's true!
Pick ONE group that you WANT to work with... a group that you want to talk to over and over. And then everything you put out in your marketing, is geared towards that ONE type of client.
Here are some examples:
- Small business owners
- Older adults who will start to loose mobility as they age
- new college grads who won't be as active anymore
- college athletes
- former college athletes who let work change their lifestyle
- young kids who need to get better at their sport
- stay at home moms
- new moms (postpartum)
- everyday joe's and joann's who think they want to start competing (even though they've never done it before)
- Work from home parents
- people in their 30's who have never worked out in their life
Then pick 3-5 things that THIS group needs to know to reach whatever goal you are going to help them with. (Yes, we all know that they will get so many MORE benefits that just that one goal, but they are coming to you to achieve something). And then talk about it over and over and over again!! It might get a little boring to just talk about these 3-5 things but it is so important to stay consistent in your message.
What's going to happen is that once you start pulling in THAT type of client, you're also going to get their friends, and colleagues - especially once they start seeing results.
As a marketing strategist, I'll take you and your brand on for the next 9 weeks, during that time, we'll create a solid content calendar that speaks to your audience, we'll get really clear on your messages to that audience, and an offer that you are so in love with, you can't wait to tell everyone about it.
AND we'll also create all of your visual content too - 'cause I got skillz! We'll do (2) shoots specifically for your brand to match your messages. You get your choice on whether they are both photo sessions, both video sessions, or one of each.
It's time to be known for something specific!